Hi,

We are at an advanced stage of readiness for GDA2020 implementation and are now starting to seriously consider implications of the dynamic ATRF datum - applicability, use and support.

Can you please advise of any latest official developments in this space.

Our current thinking is that we will perform a bulk transformation once a year (e.g. GDA2020 transforms to a 2021 epoch), living with the, up to, 7cm shift during the year (our highest level of positional accuracy required is 0.25m).

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It's great to hear that you are moving to GDA2020 and thinking about the future time-dependent reference frame.

The information needed to compute time-referenced coordinates is available in the ICSM GDA2020 Technical Manual.  The ITRF2014 reference frame is currently used.  Check-out chapters 2 and 3 - specifically sections 2.2 and 3.3.  Note that GDA2020 and ITRF2014 will be coincident on 2020.0, which is at 00:00:00 (midnight) on 1 January 2020.  Also, as ITRF2014 is the reference frame GDA2020 is based, the future ATRF will be similarly referenced.

The ICSM Permanent Committee on Geodesy is currently preparing the strategies and processes needed to continually realize the ATRF.  However, please feel free to continue to raise questions regarding the ATRF, as this will help us in understanding user needs and potential issues around the future dynamic system.

Kind Regards,

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks Dan,

I will continue to monitor the ICSM pages for ATRF announcements.

As mentioned, I don't think we have a need to transform data more frequently than once a year. 

I have read articles recently around the use of a Static reference datum (e.g. GDA2020) to which you can back-transform multiple epochs of ATRF and then either work with the data in that static datum or transform to a common ATRF epoch.

Interesting times..

Best regards,

Mark

The whole issue with Static v Dynamic datum's will certainly be interesting and I am not exactly sure how some organisations will best handle this issue as continually transforming data over a period of time might become a bit of a management nightmare? Coordinate legacy with some organisations is a real problem as once data has left the organisation and in third party hands then one has to be very sure that data sets never end up being crossed over. 

• Like 1

I guess that's where strict metadata application will save the day - recording the original epoch for reference (point-of-truth).

There are several Nightmare scenarios around the introduction of a dynamic datum and we can only hope that 90% of the potential issues are worked through, and resolved, before implementation.

A case of us watching this space...